Co-operation Ireland in association with the International Centre for Local and Regional Development and Queen’s University, Belfast hosted a seminar entitled, Planning and Local Government on the Island of Ireland on Friday 30 September, 2011 in Dundalk.
The seminar was very well attended with delegates travelling from across Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. The emphasis throughout the day was on the potential for greater collaboration and co-operation for spatial strategies on the island, particularly in light of Jean Peyrony’s presentation, which gave a number of European examples of governance and planning in cross border regions. There was also an emphasis on sharing experiences throughout the day with contributions from Councillors both North and South. Below is a list of the speakers that contributed to the Planning and Local Government on the Island of Ireland seminar and their presentations are available for download:
- Jean Peyrony, Director of the Transfrontier Operational Mission in France (presentation)
- Padraig Maguire, Implementation Officer, Border Regional Authority (presentation)
- Fiona McCandless, Director of Local Planning Division, Department of Environment, Northern Ireland (presentation)
- Councillor Tom Kelleher, Fingal County Council (presentation)
- Alderman Jack Beattie, Castlereagh Borough Council (no powerpoint file avaialble)
- Deirdre Scully, Senior Planner, Dublin City Council (presentation)