The International Centre for Local and Regional Development (ICLRD) is publishing a series of short timely articles that explore how various forms of planning, enacted at different spatial scales, can contribute to better collaboration on the pressing issues facing both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
By considering both jurisdictions on the island and the potential synergies and efficiencies that can be realised through cooperation, we aim to provide a more rounded view than considering each jurisdiction in isolation. We believe that good planning, following international best practice, can be a major part in the crafting of practical solutions to inter-jurisdictional and cross-border cooperation.
These short briefs will consider the key topics, challenges and opportunities for cooperation under discussion in Belfast and Dublin (and elsewhere) and explore the critical relationships between planning and the wider economy, the environment, energy, services, housing and infrastructure.
- Applying the Functional Territories Concept:Planning Beyond Borders (No. 13)
- Briefing Paper No.12: Small Island: Big Marine Challenges Ahead for the Blue Economy
- Briefing Paper No.11: Implementation of River Basin Management Plans — Current Issues and Future Needs
- Briefing Paper No.10: Biomass Resources in the Island of Ireland
- Briefing Paper No.9: Reflections on the Boom: A Time for Reform
- Briefing Paper No.8: Innovation–The Challenge of Building an Adaptive and Innovative Society
- Briefing Paper No.7: Doing More with Less–A Business Perspective
- Briefing Paper No.6: Recovery Scenarios for the Two Irish Economies
- Briefing Paper No.5: Evidence-Informed Spatial Planning: A Boston Metro Perspective
- Briefing Paper No.4: ESPON and the EU Research Agenda
- Briefing Paper No.3: The Conditions Necessary for Gateway Development & the Role of Smaller Gateways in Economic Development
- Briefing Paper No.2: Linking Spatial Planning with Public Investment–Perspectives from the Island of Ireland
- Briefing Paper No.1: Good Planning Key to Future Success