In its complimentary publications Shared Services Across Local Government: Sharing International Experiences and Shared Services: Propositions for Local Government Collaboration Briefing Report, the ICLRD documents four case studies on diverse international experiences and good practices in shared services:
• Shared Services in Scotland: Glasgow and the Clyde Valley
• Mancomunidades in Spain: The Asturias Region
• New York’s Shared Services Programme; and
• Local Government Restructuring and Realignment in Ontario, Canada
Below, readers will find key web resources associated with each of the cases meant to compliment the analysis carried out in the two abovementioned publications.
Shared Services in Scotland: Glasgow and the Clyde Valley
This case study documents an evolving shared service agenda across eight local authorities in the Clyde Valley of Scotland, U.K. Key references and resources include:
- Glasgow and the Clyde Valley Strategic Development Planning Authority – a city-region spatial planning framework
- The Scottish Government’s Shared Services Guidance 2011 – provides information, guidance and case study examples from Scotland
Mancomunidades in Spain: The Asturias Region
Mancomunidades are voluntary municipal associations that subsumes the power of member municipalities in defined areas such as local service provision. This case particularly focuses on the experiences of 19 mancomunidades (78 municipalities) in the Asturias Region.
- Government of the Principality of Asturias (in Spanish)
- Collaborative Communities: Co-Operation among Rural Municipalities – Insights from Spain. Brendan O’Keefe. ICLRD.
New York’s Shared Services Programme
New York State has provided strong policy support for government streamlining at the local level. This case study explores the State’s efforts to support shared services and consolidation, particularly the consolidation of two communities’ police departments.
- New York Department of State Local Government Efficiency Program Website
- New York State Office of the State Comptroller – Local Government Page
Local Government Restructuring and Realignment in Ontario, Canada
This case study outlines the hierarchy and structure of municipalities in Ontario, with an emphasis on the southern part of the province and the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).
- Local Government Realignment: A User’s Guide – Ontario Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
- Public Service for Ontarians: A Path to Sustainability and Excellence – Commission on the Reform of Ontario’s Public Services